Remote employees have gone from being the exception to becoming a major part of the workforce, especially during these times. Not all companies can freeze their hiring, some have critical positions which need filling.
The most crucial part of a remote employee’s onboarding is the ability to connect with their team and more importantly, their manager as quickly as possible – to do that well takes some preparation.
In fact, the number of people working remotely has increased by 159% since 2005, it’s time to turn onboarding around and make it people focused.
Best Practices for Remote Employee Onboarding
1. Start early.
2. Checklist of needed technology – laptop and etc
3. Get employees online ASAP.
4. Provide a digital employee handbook and company culture.
5. Create a sense of belonging – book manager and team meetings
6. Provide an individualized onboarding plan with video check-ins and goals.
7. Initiate professional development and personal growth from the start.
8. Encourage collaborative learning.